Senior Legal Counsel (Air Passenger Rights)(m/w/d)
Legal - Berlin
Sitting within the Legal Department, this role is responsible for legal frameworks and policy; airline strategy and cooperation; lobbying and stakeholder management; and the development of new LegalTech products. The Senior Legal Counsel will be the person at the core of AirHelp’s company-wide air passenger rights analysis and interpretation, and will be in close cooperation with our global network of lawyers (in over 30 countries), the Legal Operations team, PR, Customer Ops, and the Airline Relations Department.
Make a difference working for the world's largest organization specializing in air passenger rights. Our mission is to educate travelers around the world and ensure they get the compensation they deserve. We're an international team with diverse backgrounds and skills, but we share our determination to advance air passenger rights worldwide. Join us! We're here to help make air travel better for all.
What you will do:
- Be at the center of the interpretation of air passenger law — using analysis of things like important court verdicts — and the subsequent application through our global network of lawyers, the Legal Ops team, PR, Customer Ops, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Elaborate and build on specific strategies and tactics to globally enhance air passenger rights (initial focus on Europe), while strengthening AirHelp’s position as the thought leader in air passenger rights.
- Initiate and coordinate legal test cases in difficult jurisdictions, and for disputed legal questions.
- Lobby with the EU parliament, EU Commission, and other stakeholders to ensure the best air passenger rights protection.
- Negotiate with airlines in strategic and legal matters, with an eye on increasing operational efficiency.
- Analyze business opportunities in other LegalTech fields and support the development and expansion of the AirHelp business model.
What you ideally bring with you:
- Fluency in English (German is an advantage.)
- A law degree from a recognized university
- Minimum three years of experience in a law firm or in a legal department.
- Interest (and ideally experience) in aviation and air passenger rights law.
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills.
- Diplomatic skills and intercultural competence, necessary when dealing with diverse stakeholders and business partners.
- Strategic mindset and a sound understanding of business interests.
- An understanding of how legal roles can enable the business.
- Can-do attitude with an entrepreneurial mindset, defined by good judgment and diplomacy.
- Strong ad-hoc decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Admission to the German bar is an advantage.
- An award-winning office space in Friedrichshain (Boxhagener Str. 18.)
- Competitive salary.
- A micro-bonus system where team members reward each other with points that can be exchanged for Zalando or Amazon gift cards, time off, etc.
- Free unlimited use of AirHelp services.
- AirHealthy sports and fitness initiatives.
- Events and parties.
- All the tools you’ll need to do your job, including a MacBook.
- Subsidized lunches.
- Soft drinks and fruits on the house.
- Relocation support.
AirHelp is the world’s largest organization specializing in air passenger rights, helping travelers get compensation for delayed or canceled flights and in instances of denied boarding. We take care of passengers' claims, develop innovative legal technology, educate travelers, and push for the growth and enforcement of air passenger rights worldwide. To date, AirHelp has aided more than 16 million people, is available globally, and has over 700 team members. We are here to help.
AirHelp is, always has been, and always will be an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.